If you’re talking to someone about social media these days, the topic of Pinterest is bound to come up. Knowing this growing platform is a hot topic, GroundFloor Media’s Carissa McCabe recently moderated a panel for the Colorado Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) on the The Power of Pinterest. Panel participants, representing very different businesses, included: Colorado Public TV, Crocs, FastFrame of LoDo, and blogger Melissa Taylor of Imagination Soup.
Some key takeaways from the event that might surprise you:
- Pinterest, barely two years old, has more than 12million users.
- It’s the fastest-growing social network, and is the no. 3 social network in the U.S.behind Facebook and Twitter.
- All of the panelists noted how Pinterest is a successful SEO driver to their websites, usually second to Google and direct (unaided outreach).
- Brands that are doing it right? Nordstrom, Whole Foods, West Elm
- Best time to pin? Consider your audience: Who are you trying to reach and when are they most likely online? If it’s working moms, then evenings or weekends might be best. The key is to carve out 15 – 20 minutes each day, if possible, so that you’re updating your boards and pinning regularly.
- Categorize your boards and descriptions. For captions, use a hashtag to make your content searchable and align your website content with your Pinterest content.
- To increase engagement with your target audiences on Pinterest, make your own content pinnable and add the “Pin It” tool to your website. Also, to drive more people to your Pinterest page, you’ll need to be an active “pinner”, follow others and social your Pinterest page across your other social media platforms.
- Pinerly is a free, online tool that you can use to begin to measure your reach on Pinterest
- If you’re not already on Pinterest, don’t be intimidated. It’s easy to use and simple to get started. You’ll be amazed at what’s out there to view, share, like and re-pin.
And to see how the panelists are using Pinterest to grow their own brands and extend the reach to new audiences, visit:
Colorado Public TV: http://pinterest.com/cpt12/
FastFrame of LoDo: http://pinterest.com/FastFrameLoDo/
GroundFloor Media: http://pinterest.com/groundfloorpr/