It seems like just yesterday that Twitter was cutting its teeth and learning to crawl. They grow up so quickly, don’t they? Twitter released the video below to celebrate its seventh birthday and it got us thinking of all the things we’ve learned, and how things have changed since the micro blogging platform came online. Here are some of our favorites:
- Its not an option for brands to participate on social channels, especially channels like Twitter. You’re being talked about whether you’re there or not.
- Having a response plan is vital. How would you/do you respond when you’re attacked by angry customers on social networks? It happens, and it happens in the blink of an eye. Brands need to be prepared and have processes in place.
- We now live in a 140-character world. If you have something to say, you had better get to the point quickly. Brevity is crucial in communications today, thanks in large part to Twitter.
- Sure, you can automate your posts to stay organized and efficient. But don’t forget to keep an eye on the news and make sure your scheduled posts aren’t conflicting with the news of the day. Just because you can push news out, doesn’t mean you don’t have to keep an eye on things.
- When news breaks we now run to our Twitter feeds, not 24-hour cable news outlets. You’ll get more information, and you’ll likely get firsthand information from the scene, whatever it may be.
A lot has changed in seven years, and we’re glad you’ve stuck around, Twitter.
~ Jim Licko